Lip balm?

I bought a new lip-balm recently and I love it.  I have really dry lips and it was amazing.  Didn't have to use very much and it lasted a lot longer than anything else I've ever tried and I'm going to buy it again.
But, what has this got to do with a spiritual blog, I hear you ask!

As I was applying my lip balm, thinking about what to say today, I realised that there are just some things you just need to keep doing. 

In order to benefit from certain things, I must do them over and over, consistently. Even with a great lip balm I need to keep applying it during the day.  I need to keep exercising on a regular basis; I need to keep eating right;  I need to keep going into work each day if I want to get paid - you get the idea

Sometimes we think about things in our spiritual life as a one-time deal, a check-list of things we do once in a while, but that don't become habitual parts of our life. 

Reading the word, prayer, praying in tongues, worshipping, encouraging and exhorting others, going to church, listening to great teaching, blessing God, being thankful - these are all parts of our spiritual walk that need to be a very regular part of lives to be of benefit to us and to others.

One thing about the lockdown is it has the potential to make a person apathetic, but we need to stir ourselves up and keep doing what we know to keep doing!   

My exhortation to you is to be consistent, pick up your bible, put on the worship music and pray to start with - replace other habits, like putting on the TV or the News, scrolling through Facebook or reading the paper, with things that sow to the Spiritual, which is lasting and true.  

As I apply my lip-balm this week (which I do multiple times through the day), I'm going to use it to remind myself of the more important things I NEED to do regularly - I'll have physically soft lips and a spiritually soft heart!


Comments

  1. A spiritually soft heart. That's beautiful Abi. Balm of Gilead. Lip balm for our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Abi for your exhortation to replace other habits with those that sow to the Spiritual. The idea of your lip-balm made me think of the Balm of Gilead - Jesus Christ, lip-balm to make our hearts spiritually soft.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teabags and Popcorn!

Take it!

Looking back