Take care or not?

Since the 1580s the phrase "take care" has been in circulation. Its original meaning was 'to take something in hand'.  Later it was asking a person to 'feel a sense of concern or interest about something'.

Its common place in our language today, but it's been bugging me recently.  

When the social distancing began (before lockdown), people would come into the office or church and their parting words would be 'take care' or 'stay safe'. 

Now don't get me wrong, I totally get why people are saying that, but it got me thinking. I don't want to take care - to be concerned about this situation and, if you are a Christian, I don't want you to be either!  I am not dismissing the potential severity of what is happening in our world, but as believers, we have God with us! His Spirit lives inside of us and we have God's promises to keep us. Things are different for Christians (at least they should be).

In Psalm 1, we are told what happens to one who follows God, and in verse 3 we read:
They will be standing firm like a flourishing tree planted by God’s design, deeply rooted by the brooks of bliss, bearing fruit in every season of their lives.  They are never dry, never fainting, ever blessed, ever prosperous. (TPT)

It doesn't say that we will flourish when everything looks great in the world..  It says that this (flourishing and bearing fruit) happens when we follow God's ways and we can follow God's ways, even in lockdown!

A friend of mine also was speaking about this dilemma of what to say to folk at this time, and I loved what she came up with and I confess I am adopting it, because it perfectly sums up what I hope and pray for myself, my family and for those of you that are Christians.

In 3 John 1:2 It says " I pray that you prosper and be in health, even as your soul prospers".

As Christians we are blessed, fortunate, happy to not be limited by external situations, news reports, or even viruses. So wherever you are, whatever you are doing my passing shot, my email ending and my prayer for each of us is going to be 
"Be in health and flourish!"

Happy Saturday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teabags and Popcorn!

Take it!

See for yourself!