Yet what?

Habakkuk 3:17-19 (NLT) Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vines; even though the olive crop fails,
and the fields lie empty and barren; even though the flocks die in the fields,  and the cattle barns are empty,  yet I will rejoice in the Lord!
I will be joyful in the God of my salvation!
The Sovereign Lord is my strength! He makes me as surefooted as a deer, able to tread upon the heights.


Some days when we look at where we are we can wonder what on earth is going on.  Some days we can get so focussed on yourself and your situation that we selfishly forget the goodness of God.

I like this passage from Habakkuk.  It takes an honest look at the circumstances:  nothing is going right, there's not going to be a harvest, there's no cattle it's all wrong. The future looks rough!

BUT then Habakkuk says YET....

YET is defined as meaning 'nevertheless or in spite of'.  Habakkuk summarized the situation BUT then he switches focus as says 'nevertheless,  I am going to rejoice in the Lord because he is my strength and my salvation, and despite all that he can keep me stable!"

How amazing is that!

Personally I think that's pretty cool.  Despite al the evidence of his eyes, Habakkuk was able to rejoice.  The word for rejoice in the Hebrew here is alaz.  It literally means to jump for joy.  The word used in the sentence 'I will joy in the God of my salvation' in the KJV means to spin around under the influence of violent emotions!

Habakkuk wasn't just saying hey, put a brave face on. He was totally engrossed in God, focussing on what God had done for him.  The word for salvation used implies freedom, deliverance, prosperity, safety, welfare and victory! Habakkuk focussed on all that instead of letting the circumstances dictate to him how to respond.

He recognized what God had done, and what he could do!

We need to remind ourselves how good God is and what Jesus did for us.  There isn't any circumstance that is beyond his aid, no not one situation ever! When we are on God's side, nothing is every hopeless, because in spite of the circumstances God has give us all those good things and some!

We read in Psalms 103:1-5 (KJV) Bless the Lord, O my soul:  and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:
Who forgiveth all thine iniquities;
who healeth all thy diseases;
Who redeemeth thy life from destruction;
who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies;
Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's.

This is just some of the things we can look at and be thankful for instead of focussing on our situations.  Whatever you are facing or going through, you can say it like it is BUT make sure you consider your YET. 

Have a great weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teabags and Popcorn!

Take it!

Looking back