Give and Take


So, following on from my post a few weeks ago regarding the 'divine exchange' I want to think about give and take. 

On the cross Jesus took a whole lot of things from us, but in return he gave us some things in return and while most Christians mentally assent to this, they do not walk in the benefits of this exchange. 

Let's consider some of what Jesus took for us and what he gave us in return.

Isaiah 53:4-5 (KJV) Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities:the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

I want to focus today on that first statement - Jesus took our griefs!  The Strong's concordance states that the word used for 'griefs' means: malady, anxiety, calamity (an event causing great and often sudden damage or distress; a disaster); disease, grief, (is) sick(-ness).

Jesus took your anxieties and things that distress you and things that afflict you, whether physical, emotional or mental. 

We sang a worship song a few years ago I'm trading my sorrows. Do you remember it?

I'm trading my sorrows
I'm trading my shame
I'm laying them down for the joy of the Lord
I'm trading my sickness
I'm trading my pain
I'm laying them down for the joy of the Lord

Yes Lord!!!!

Well, that song is right. We have the choice in what we hold on to.  We can take advantage of this give and take!

We can hold on to these things that distress us, or we can receive the exchange.  For your distress he will trade you his peace, his wholeness, his joy. I know that seems very simple, and maybe you're saying "You don't know what distresses me Abi" and you're right, I don't but I know that what God says is true!  He says he carried those things for us, so we don't have to.  We just have to be willing to give and take!  Let him take our griefs and let him give his healing/joy/peace in return.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take it!

Teabags and Popcorn!

Looking back