Confess!

When we first lived in the US, I remember a conversation I had with a friend that went something like this:
Me "You alright?"
Her "Yes.  Why do you keep asking me that, don't I look alright???"
Me "Well yes, it's just a figure of speech I guess..  While we're on the subject, why do you keep asking me 'what's happening?' when we're just sitting doing nothing?"
Her (laugh) "Same figure of speech I guess!"

We laughed realizing it was just a way of asking how you were, and whether it's those phrases or 'How are you doing?', 'What's going on with you?" or something else, the point is the same, we're expecting a response about how a person feels

In the bible though in Hebrews 10:23 (KJV) we read:
"Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)"

It doesn't say that we hold fast to how we feel!    God does not call us to lie about how we feel, or to pretend everything is alright when it's not, but we are called to walk according to the Spirit, and that means when our feelings are contrary to God's word, feelings are always trumped by the reality of God's truth. 

2 Corinthians 4:13 (KJV Strong's)
"We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak;"

Sometimes we just need to give ourselves a good talking to!  We need to hold fast (cling to, grasp tightly, or one might say 'get a grip' of) the profession (confession) of faith over and above our feelings.  

If we are feeling unloved, we need to hang on to the confession that, like Paul, we "...live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." Galatians 2:20 or the confession that "nothing can separate us from the love of God" Romans 8:35-39

We need to grasp the fact that what comes out of our mouths is powerful  - James says James 3:5 (TPT)
"And so the tongue is a small part of the body yet it carries great power! Just think of how a small flame can set a huge forest ablaze." and in Proverbs 18:21 we are reminded that the power of life and death is in our tongue.  

The word confession is usually associated with stating our sins, but the word confess, means to get into agreement with.  We need to get into agreement with God!

We don't need to get silly about this. If I'm feeling lonely I don't need to pretend not to be, but I do need to make my confession something that will steer the course of my life in the right direction.  I can focus on feelings or I can hold on tight to the confession of my faith which says:"I may feel lonely, but I know am not alone because God will never leave me or forsake me, so that is my confession." Our emotions follow our belief, and our actions follow that. 

There have been many science experiments that conclude that even the very cells in our body respond to sounds. I believe this was a fundamental design from our creator.  He spoke and it happened.  Our own bodies are no different.  If you tell yourself over and over you are going to get sick, you will be.  If you body is telling you that you're sick, talk right back to it! (Speak to your mountain!) 
"I know you have some symptoms, but the bible says that by His stripes I am healed!"  Keep reminding yourself what the word says. I believe that every cell in our bodies will respond to this.

This is not about 'name it and claim it', but it is about holding on to your profession of faith!  What is the profession of faith for that situation you are facing, or the negative emotions in your mind? 
The bible says that today we have a choice between life and death and God gives us a hint: CHOOSE LIFE (Deut 30:19). So today, instead of asking how you are doing, I might just ask you "What is your confession?"

Have a great weekend


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teabags and Popcorn!

Take it!

Looking back