Content

My Father's House (Lusaka) School, Zambia 
I'm back after my 2 weeks away on a mission trip to Zambia.  I apologize for the missing blogs, but electricity and internet were intermittent, and our itinerary was full.  We had an amazing trip.  Personally, I overcome a lot of challenges, but God is faithful, and the experience was fantastic.

While we were there, we stayed mostly with our friends in Lusaka, but for 3 days we went to a village called Mkushi about 7 hour from the city.   Mkushi has no electricity and no running water.   The place we slept in had no real floor (just the ground) and no toilet (a hole in the ground).

When we met the children, we gave them a football. Their smiles lit up their little faces, and they had an immediate impromptu game with John.

There were many instances like this during our trip, and it reminded me of when Paul the Apostle wrote: (Philippians 4:11 NKJV)
"Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content:"

Paul said he had LEARNED to be content.  Being content is not a natural state! In the Greek this word has the connotation of being learned by practice or use.    We need to practice being content.

It is easy to find someone who complains.  We may not even have to look past the end of our noses to find a person who leans towards moaning and discontent, but Paul said he learned (practiced being content).

Being content stems from a thankful heart and grateful attitude.  So, I may not have the latest tech, or a big telly, or a large house or a new car, but when I look at the children (and adults) that we met in Zambia, the things they didn't have did not define them, or make them bitter.  They were thankful for what they had and it showed all over their faces. It made me think!

I am thankful I don't live in somewhere like Zambia and have to contend with a lack of electricity or running water or spiders or snakes, but I am going to practice being content with all that I have, or don't have, like Paul. 

Being thankful should be part of our nature as Christians.  We have so much on so many levels.   God is amazingly good to us.  When we focus on that it's hard not to be thankful and build a foundation of contentment in the Lord.

Have a great weekend.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teabags and Popcorn!

Take it!

Looking back