Killing it

This week I was reading this passage from John. Jesus is talking in the temple to the Jews when he says:

Therefore if the Son sets you free, you shall be free indeed. I know that you are Abraham’s seed. But you seek to kill Me, because My word has no place in you. I am telling what I have seen with My Father, and you are doing what you have seen with your father.” 
John 8:36-38 (MEV) 

The phrase"...because My word has no place in you."  Really jumped out at me.   I looked that up in a variety of tranaslations:

...because you do not welcome My voice into your lives. (The Voice)

...because my message does not find a home within your hearts. (LB)

...because My word has no place to grow in you and it makes no change in your heart. (AMP)

It is very clear that they were looking to kill Jesus because of the word.  John said "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.John 1:1 (KJV)

While we may not physically be 'killing' Jesus today, I wonder how often we kill the words or life of Jesus in us because he doesn't find a home in our hearts?

When that happens his word to us becomes ineffective.   
Hebrews 4:2 (KJV) 
For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

The bible teaches an intimate and two relationship with God the Father through Jesus Christ; He wants His word to take root in our hearts, but if it finds no home there, it doesn't profit us anything in our lives as He intends.

In the parable of the sower (Mark 4) there are examples of reasons why the Word doesn't take root in the hearts of the people: cares of this world; the enemy can steal it away; there is no root; hard hearts etc.  Sometimes we simply reject Jesus or his word because we don't like what he says, but whatever the reason, if it can't find it's home, the effect in our lives is the same as the Jews were pushing for - killing it - to take the life away from the Word.

Today, I want to challenge you to revisit God's word.  What might you have 'killed' in your life that he has spoken to you?  The good news is, thatJesus is in the business of resurrecting dead things!   Repent - change your mind, and allow that Word to settle in your heart.  Feed it, water it and let it grow in your heart and bear fruit.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teabags and Popcorn!

Looking back

Take it!