...and there's more!

Last week on Easter Sunday, John (my husband) taught at church.  I always really enjoy listening to him speak and, like many times I hear him, something particular he said grabbed my interest. He spoke about Jesus being the first fruit.

I've often heard about giving first fruits from your crops or even from your time or whatever and tithing, but John said something that I thought was good.  He said first fruits imply that more is yet to come!  They are not called last fruits, or 'maybe-there-won't-be-any-more' fruits! First fruits.  We create an expectation there is more!

Giving to God is always about the fact that we trust him and know that however much we give, we can't out-give God. 

I've heard people debate about whether or not they should tithe of the gross or net amount, or whether they should round up or down (really I have!!), and those people have ALL missed the point.  Giving is about recognizing that it's all God's anyway, and letting it go, means you understand that it comes with a promises of more yet to come; of provision from the God of more than enough (El Shaddai).

God's way is alway to move us into more!  He wants us to grow and increase in every area of our lives, both spiritually and physically.  Before we go any further, I want to be clear.  Nowhere does God tell us to get, get, get... But he does want us to increase.  God wants us to have more than enough SO that we can be a blessing and bring glory to his name!

In Genesis we see that God reveals himself to Abraham as El Shaddai. (Genesis 17:1)
"When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the Lord appeared to him and said, “I am El Shaddai—‘God Almighty.’ Serve me faithfully and live a blameless life."

Earlier in Genesis, we see that God tell Abraham "I'm going to bless you to be a blessing".  The revelation of El Shaddai came with a covenant of fruitfulness and prosperity. This is true today and giving of our first fruits is a practical, visible statement that says " This is recognition of the promise that more is coming!  I trust God. He will MORE than supply all my needs!"




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teabags and Popcorn!

Take it!

Looking back