Forgotten the password?


So last night we were watching a movie called "God, where are you?"  It was a very edifying and uplifting movie for me, and right at the end two of the characters are talking and one says
"You are a blessed man," and the other replies "I am a grateful man"

I was just thinking that when we perceive (become aware or conscious of) our blessings, we cannot help but be grateful . When we focus on our self importance or self ability then we become critical and selfish in our outlook.

Sometimes we need to be intentional about being thankful, as it's definitely naturally easier to focus on what we lack or don't like, than it is to be thankful.

Gratitude is all about where our focus is.  In Romans 1:21 we are told that people that knew God, didn't "glorify Him as God, and neither were they thankful". People didn't give God credit for who He was or give Him thanks for what He had done, and so the end result was God letting them get on with it, experiencing the full negative consequences of their actions.

We used to sing a song back years ago and the chorus ends "Count your blessings, name them one by one and it will surprise you what the Lord has done."

It is worth taking time each day and actually considering things you are grateful for and counting your blessings; I believe this believer: to be thankful in all circumstances.  Gratitude also leads to a place of humility and when we are humble we are always more open to hear and receive from God.

When we were going through a tough experience recently, a friend of mine sent me a journal called "Good things are Happening".  Instead of writing a narrative of my day, including all the negative stuff that was happening, it simply gave space to write 3 things that were 'moments of joy' from my day.  It was challenging some days, but it kind of forced me to look for things, despite the junk in the day, that I was truly thankful for, and I believe it played a key part in keeping my heart straight despite the difficulties we faced.

This year I bought myself a similar journal to do the same thing with, because being thankful definitely changes me and positions me to better receive and minister.

Today I want to encourage you, whatever is going on in your life there ARE things to be thankful for.  Look for them, rehearse them, talk about them, share them on Facebook, whatever it takes, to remind ourselves of God's goodness and provision.  This simple shift in focus will make changes in your heart, and ultimately will change you from the inside out.

Gratitude is like a password to tune your mind into God. it's not a secret password; it's available for everyone, so practice using it today and over the coming weeks.


The Message Psalms 100:4
Enter with the password: "Thank you!"
Make yourselves at home, talking praise.
Thank him. Worship him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teabags and Popcorn!

Take it!

See for yourself!