Recognise it

I know I've mentioned running a few times recently, but it's a great analogy for spiritual truths.  God speaks to me a great deal through my running and it's good!

Recently I was listening to a series of podcasts about how to improve your running.  It was very helpful to me.
One of the points was to recognise where you are and start from there.  

What does that really look like?  Well, for example, through this 5 day challenge, I realised that my strength is rubbish! 
(I tried a strength test and basically I have none🤣🤣🤣)

Seriously though, I could recognise that and decide today to join a gym, go 7 days a week and bench press 200lbs a day!  But that's not realistic.  I need to start smart!  So, I might join a gym, but maybe aim for twice a week and start with 2lb weights!   

I might decide I need to run further, but to try and do a marathon tomorrow is dumb to the max!

The same is true with spiritual things.  Sometimes we recognise that we need to spend more time in the word, or in prayer, or worshipping etc.  But there's zero point trying to say 'right, I am going to start today by studying the Bible 8 hours every day'. That's not realistic, practical, and in most cases, we're going to fail. 

Recognising where we are is important, but training to get where we want is the key to getting where we want.  In God's thinking, things happen little by little, here a bit there a bit!

Isaiah 28:10 (KJV)
For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

Mark 4:28 (KJV)
For the earth brings forth fruit of herself; first the blade, then the ear, after that the full corn in the ear.

We need to train - the bible compares our walk with a race or fight. We do need to train, but we need to recognise where we are and start smart.  The Holy Spirit will lead us in how to do this, but the important thing is to start. 

You don't do nothing because you can't run a marathon today.  You start by getting off the couch and doing a walk, a walk-run, a jog, a run...

Be consistent, start smart, start with where you are and God will take you where you need to be.

Happy Saturday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teabags and Popcorn!

Take it!

Looking back